.post large { float:left; color: $headerBgColor; font-size:100px; line-height:80px; padding-top:1px; padding-right:5px; }

News and Materials Headline Animator

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A man's 45 year search for love of his life

A Canadian man is desperately trying to track down a woman he fell madly in love with at a coffee shop here in Australia over four decades back.


Bob Hagelund had struck up a conversation with Joyce Hook in Melbourne. The Canadian, who is now 70, is attempting to locate the woman he says was the love of his life.

They had met in 1965 at a small cafe where Joyce was the cashier. Hagelund, who had just arrived in Melbourne on board a Norwegian ship, had dropped in for drink.

'I've never been so absolutely smitten by another person in my life,' said Hagelund.

They had felt an instant connection and talked for three hours that night over coffee.

'You (Joyce) told me of your wish to attend university in England, and I told you of my dreams and aspirations,' The Age quoted Hagelund as saying.

'I fell in love with you that day Joyce, and for 45 years my feelings for you have endured. I still remember like it was yesterday.

'We promised to write and keep in touch and I vowed to return. By the time our ship reached New York, my anticipation of a letter from you almost consumed me.'

But there was no letter for him on his arrival.

Hagelund felt dejected and attempted to move on with his life.

It later turned out that Joyce had indeed written to him but her letter was lost in the mail, arriving three-and-a-half years after their initial rendezvous.

Hagelund said those few hours together in Melbourne had consumed him all his life.

He realises Joyce may be married and even may not be alive. But he says he has to try to get in touch with her.

'Perhaps we can recount stories of what roads life has taken (us) down over the past 45 years and whether any of our hopes and dreams were realized. I would very much like that Joyce... I am still desperately seeking you, and perhaps it will always be so.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

News and Materials

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Infolinks In Text Ads

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest News

Time